Wrestling with Proteus

Who knew a 6 day old little boy could be so strong? Keeping hold of his feet during changing to keep them out of the mess, pinning his arms to swaddle him effectively, prove to be Herculean if not Sisyphean tasks. I realize that I have both exceeded the over under for mythological references one is allowed to make in one month, and have mixed my mythological metaphors, but damn he's strong. Add to that attempts to throw himself from my arms with only head movements and, yeah, wrestling Proteus comes to mind.
To round out the metaphor, each day brings something new. Constant change. Weight gain, the shape of his head, new faces, finding his fingers, eyes focusing, listening to music. We will continue to wrestle for years to come, I look forward to day he reveals his true form.

No comments: