Are We Really That Stupid?

I have just been reading the comments on CNN about Barak Obama beginning the search for his Vice Presidential running mate, and I have to say the people who chimed in sounded (and spelled) like petulant Four year olds. "Hillary is an abrasive..." "I'm voting for McCain...."

Stupidity on a Wagnerian scale!

First let me say that for reasons I haven't completely worked out I wanted Hillary Clinton to be the Democratic Nominee. I think it had a bit to do with it being more important to have a woman for the first time then to have a non-white person for the first time. Obama's lack of experience and lack of concrete plans also give me some pause. But Hillary is by far the more conservative of the two (though both would be voted off any truly liberal island).

To all you Hillary to McCain nut jobs let me draw a parallel. It's 1939 and you live in England . "Damn, Churchill is not prime minister...I know - I'll move to Germany and live in a country ruled by that nice Austrian chap." That is overstated to make my point. John McCain appears to be a good and decent human being who has served this country faithfully. But his voting record shows no signs of being independent (for all his Maverick rhetoric). He is among the top 10 most conservative senators in the last 75 years. More even than Joseph McCarthy. Remember him. (Not my stat by the way. Published in a study reviewing voting records on issues of race, gender, labor, civil rights, taxes and nominations. Voting for McCain is a vote for corporate welfare, foreign policy by gun, entitlement for the rich, limitation of civil rights and rule by theocracy.

For all you hey Barak won so deal with it nut jobs. Barak Obama didn't win enough votes to garner the democratic nomination, he was selected by the democratic machinery. However if the situation were reversed the same would be true of Hilary Clinton, Neither of them won the nomination so one was selected by committee. Now I understand that the idea of a strong and intelligent woman not wearing leather scares the bejeezus out of the vast majority of this country, but Hillary Clinton deserves nothing but respect from liberals, if for nothing else then that conservatives hate her so much. (Even though she's more one of them than one of us) Truth is, 4 years ago your guy was in the Illinois state legislature. He spent exactly 1 year voting in the senate before going out on campaign, I know I looked carefully at his record. He has slightly more national governing experience than I do so please stop spewing your cheerleading as though JFK had risen from the grave.

Barak Obama is an extraordinary speaker and I suspect he may be an extraordinary man. He will, barring some monumental revelation, receive my vote given happily and enthusiastically. I suspect he is smart enough to surround himself with people who know a lot more about governing than he does. (Speaking of JFK)

I will take a man who's not sure what he's doing over a man who knows very well that he is working against my interests and my wishes.

Voting for McCain or disrespecting other democrats because they supported the other primary candidate are both colossally moronic. If you like fascism then by all means get out of this discussion and vote for McCain. If you believe in the progressive agenda - put on your grown up britches and get behind the least conservative option still viable. President Obama and posse 08.

Or are we really that stupid that we'll sign up for 4 more years of degrading civil rights, the extension of poverty to a broader section of the population by giving subsidies in the form of tax breaks for corporation and the rich?

No comments: